Friday, October 29, 2010

My favorite historic home

I know I haven't posted in a while, but I am waiting for permission from a blogger to feature their blog on my site. In the mean time, I would love to share some pictures of my favorite historic home, Old Westbury Gardens. Old Westbury Gardens is the former estate of John Shaffer Phipps (1874-1958), heir to a U.S. steel fortune. It has been open to the public for tours since 1959.

The home is located at 71 Old Westbury Road, in Old Westbury, New York.
According to Wikipedia the home is in the Charles II style, and has twenty-three rooms. The homes gardens, which it is most famous for, span 160 acres.
the stately front facade, courtesy of Historic Houses.

The beautiful garden facade, courtesy of Best of Long Island.


More on this home later, but I wanted to post something to hold you over until I get permission from a blogger to do my next post.
-David-

4 comments:

  1. Good grief. It's beautiful. I'd run right up those stairs to see insde. I'd need a smaller scale version for my own use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed! I have the book Great American Houses (a great buy, so many beautiful homes in it with the first floor plan to each estate) and this home is on the cover. I had never heard of it before, but it has come to be my favorite historic home. It is more humanly scaled than the Biltmore or Hearst Castle, and though it is still big, the floorplan seems livable. Not many wasted rooms like other mansions of its time. I am planning a more in depth post on the home, hopefully including the wonderful floorplans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - such a beauty - perfect in scale and proportion. It is hard to pull off a house with three windows on either side of the front door, and this one does it perfectly. Love the limestone combined with the brick, and those small dormers are the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know that this topic is being covered also in this website & there are a lot of developers working on this segment but this is one of the best innovative idea ever seen.



    Wood columns

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love getting comments and seeing what my readers have to say, so please don't hesitate!